Sunday, June 1, 2014

Moody Monday's: God Only Gives Us As Much As We Can Handle

Have you ever heard the saying, “God only gives you as much as you can handle?” Do you believe it is true?
For myself, I would have to say yes. I think God only gives me as much as I can handle. 
photo by tlpoague
I often joke that I never have a boring life. There is always some kind of drama going on whether it is in my siblings families or my own. Last week I had a very good topic I was wanting to write about. Then it happened. That little thing that often derails the best of writer's intentions.
Mine was a washing machine. It was one of those shinning moments where you have a houseful of company and things begin to go sour. My son had been washing his laundry when he noticed that the washer wasn't draining. Instead of intruding on his visit, we decided to post-pone the fix till after the kids left. This just happened to be the day I needed to post a Moody Monday. What timing!                            
“Well, no problem,” I told myself as I handed the tools to my hubby. “It should be a quick fix.”
Boy, was I wrong.
The filter of the water pump was full of garbage. Guess where the built up water went? Yup, all over the floor, despite the best efforts to drain it in a bucket. The smell was awful! I still gag thinking about it.
So, after cleaning out the pump and replacing it, I cleaned up a filthy mess. While cleaning this mess, I noticed that the drum of the washing machine wasn't spinning. It took awhile to analyze the problem and then find a solution. (There is a sensor inside the door of the front-end loading washing machine that becomes weak. When this happens, it won't spin properly.) This meant that we (the hubby) has to take apart the door and adjust the sensor to get by till we could order a new one. In the meantime, I was still trying to move things and clean up the smelly water mess.
By the time we had made a few more adjustments, finished the week's worth of laundry, and mopped the floors a dozen times, I was pretty pooped, but we still needed to plant our garden. I know, I know, it seems a bit late, but with all the weird weather we had been having, I wanted to make sure that the last frost was over so I didn't loose any of our precious plants. So, I figured...there is always tomorrow to write.
Never tell yourself that when making plans for the next day. For in my case, planning often doesn't go as planned.
Tuesday found me doing more housecleaning and helping the hubby finish a bed for our grandson Julius. I thought it turned out amazing. Of course this led to having the grand kids over for a bit. 
The grandson and his new bed.
photo by tlpoague
Wednesday was a surprise fishing trip. I had a great time trying to out fish Mr. P.. Naturally he caught the most fish while I managed to catch a lot of sun. To add to the excitement of fishing, we seen the largest snapping turtle of our lives.
I couldn't pass this opportunity up so I dug out my camera to snap a few photos. Just as I zoomed in to take a shot of the turtle, movement caught my eye. It was a water snake swimming towards my feet. For those that know me...I hate snakes! They freak me out!
I forgot about the turtle as I focused on the snake just inches from my feet. Mr. P. was doing his best to find a stick to scoot it away. (Have you ever had a moment where you have a deadly creature on the end of the stick and the stick breaks? Well...I did. Not once, but twice!) 
Mr. P. did his best to fling the snake back into the lake a bit further from where we were. This little critter wasn't impressed and proceeded to swim right back for my feet. The second time, Mr. P. poked at him till he moved on by. Of course, I think it may have been more productive if the sticks didn't keep breaking. By the time the excitement was over, the turtle had moved on, and I was done fishing. 
I am really not fond of snakes, no matter the size.
photo by tlpoague
We decided to head back home but first wanted to stop by my dad's, Big Nam, to see how he was recovering. (He had been really sick over Easter.) I was glad to see he was doing better. It was an enchanting moment of enjoyment to see the look on his face when we gave him a load of fish we caught. I was one happy french fry! By the time we arrived home, I hit the sack and slept like a rock. 
The stringer full of fish we gave my dad.
photo by tlpoague
Thursday we took off on a four hour drive to the doctor's for an over-night test. Along the way we had a lovely conversation about our week and future plans. (Our daughter had mentioned that she has a new job. This means that she will be moving a few hours away. I planed to get in as much time with the grand babies as I could before they move.) As for the tests... they seemed to have gone well.
Friday as we headed back home for a much needed rest, I received a phone call from our daughter. Our youngest grandson was admitted in the hospital for an over-night observation and more tests. He had been breathing too fast and had wheezing on his chest. As a grandmother, it was difficult to not want to control the situation. By the time I had arrived at the hospital, the doctor has determined that the little guy had viral pneumonia. They were keeping him under watch and administering medication.
Saturday, our little guy was doing much better. He was sent home. Needless to say, I think I have earned a few more gray hairs from all the worry. I am grateful that God answered our prayers. 
Our little grandson feeling much better.
photo by tlpoague
It was sitting here at my computer on Sunday, brushing off my keyboard, contemplating my next topic, and reading a few blogs, hubs, and bubbles, that I realized something very important.
No matter how busy I am, I need to find the time to write. This is important because to keep this talent in tuned, I need to use it. Not just talk about it...but take action and do it. The ironic part of it was that as I was catching up on some reading, I read an article from a fellow writer talking about how as writers we have a responsibility to write. This article really hit home. Sometimes it easier to get caught up in excuses than to just take that moment and...well...just write.

I look forward to seeing you all again next Monday for Moody Monday's.  

No comments:

Post a Comment